Author Topic: QA 860 firmware update  (Read 4532 times)

cowboy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
QA 860 firmware update
« on: November 17, 2013, 01:11:38 PM »
Firmware V1.1 released:

http://www.qlshifi.com/qa860/QA860-APP%20v1.1.rar

change log:

- bug fixed for volume control issue
- bug fixed for switching clock issue from standalone DAC mode to SD card palying mode
- bug fixed for system crash issue in case of selecting ”COAX IN” or ”OPT IN” when playing paused
- Improved system stability and sound quality

JimStar

• View Profile
Re: QA 860 firmware update
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:19:52 PM »
It seems that it is exactly the device I searched for long time. Some audio-only standalone flac player with good DAC inside, simple control (not requiring the TV connected to scroll through files) and remote... This one looks as what I need. Already ordered one on eBay, will be delivered in one week or so... Can't wait.;) Thank you for making available such a usable thing, I'm happy that I finally found it!

So, one question so far: how is "shuffle" function implemented in the firmware?
As this function is extremely important for me: as I already wrote, I like very simple controlled player, and in this case "enable and forget" is the best choice for me or for my wife. I don't need to scroll through all the files every time, as I like to hear the different songs every time in different order (some like music radio). So, in this case two things are very important:

1) Press as little amount of buttons on remote as possible to start play "shuffle" through ALL files in all folders present on the card, not just from one chosen folder. Ideally - just have some setting in firmware preferences like "Automatically start shuffle playing after power on"...

2) The "clever" shuffle. I'll try to explain. When you have e.g. 1000 music files on the card, even good random generator algorithm hits into the same songs often enough. So, in the case of "just choose the next song using next random generator function call output" - you will hear the same songs too often, and some songs you will almost never hear... But in the case the algorithm stores already played songs numbers, and randomly chooses the next song only from not played previously (before it reaches the last song and starts again from first by round-robin) - in this case you will never hear the same song twice before all the songs from the card will be played.

These two simple things would make this device absolutely killer. As I search for something like this already looong time, and can't find.:( I'd even paid more, if I could find some device having these simple features (I know that these things are simple to implement, I'm programmer by myself ;))...
As it could be such a fun: to just take the remote, press just one button and music starts to play... Instead of "press Power, look at display, press the arrows a lot of times looking at display to find some needed menu items and catalogs, pressing OK few times, press Play...".

Can it be added to firmware?.. Or perhaps it is already present there?..

Thank you very much, good device! Can't wait to get it.;)

JimStar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 01:20:57 PM »
OK, I've received it.;)

So, I'm almost happy: it is extremely quality thing! I like it!
And it seems that with the point 1. from my previous post almost all is OK - it can be started by pressing buttons just twice. Not bad, but if there will be added opportunity to start playing by just one button - will be much better.

But there are some more questions raised now.

• The annoying BUG: when playing FLAC files, almost all songs are interrupted before the end - about 1 second before end is cut. But sometimes it plays the song OK, not cutting its end. But most of the time - the songs are cut at the end... I've tried to set different settings of gap between songs - no difference, songs are still cut at the end...
  • It seems there is no ability to power-off? At all? As all what I see on the remote - is the "Reset" button at the place where "Power" button usually is placed... And this button just resets the device. There is button that turns off the display, but just display - the device still remains powered on, it even continues to play if it is turned off during playing... So, is there some way to power off the device?
  • The point 2. from my previous post - is still actual. The random mode repeats the same songs too often.:( I have about 2000 songs on the card in different folders, but playing just 2-3 hours - and I already heard the same songs 2-3 times... It's very annoying to hear the same song 2-3 times, when the card has still a LOT of other not played songs...
    Please, please, please - improve this algorithm according to my previous post! ;) If you want - I can write the compact function for you in "C" which will randomize the songs a lot more effectively, taking into account already played.
Anyway, even with those troubles - the device is just excellent! I like it, I enjoy it's quality and look, I enjoy its fancy remote. Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:26:57 PM by JimStar »

JimStar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:12:11 PM »
Just tried hi-res FLAC files - they do not play on this device.:(

24x96 FLAC - they are played, but with constant "clicks" and interruptions every second-two.
24x192 FLAC - do not play at all. Some of these files are just skipped to next file after exactly 5 seconds of "playing silence". And with some of them - the device hangs if I try to play them and only "reset" returns it to life.
All these files play absolutely OK on different computers (PC and Mac).

If I try to hit "Delete" button on any file - it asks "Delete?", I choose "Yes", and nothing happens, the file is still there, not deleted. The "lock" on SD-card is disabled, so it is not the reason.

cowboy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 06:30:57 PM »
I think QA860 only supports WAV in 24/192

JimStar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »
After the electricity switches off for some reason (e.g. after we had storm here, electricity flashed few times) - this player gets ENABLED after the electricity is back. It is: not only its screen becomes ON, but it even is in PLAY mode...
So, after I went home at evening - I got the enabled player which played the whole day.

I think you should fix it to be enabled always in OFF mode.
Memorise the last state (as e.g. an option in computer BIOS) - would be the bad idea, as in the case if electricity will be switched off during PLAY mode, and will stay switched off for long time - there will be no opportunity to make the player switch on again in OFF mode after you will went e.g. to work... So, in this case it will be enabled in PLAY mode again during the time you will be not at home...

JimStar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 08:45:55 PM »
So, my conclusion after using it for a long time: good hardware, but glitchy firmware with no attention from developers. No new versions with fixes of even simple issues already long time...
A half of files of my 16x44.1 FLAC collection which play excellent even on portable Colorfly C3 - constantly interrupt and click on this device. Device becomes enabled and starts to play after every electricity loss... The last 1-2 seconds of songs are cut during playing... Etc... I've mentioned some of them here already long time ago...

I don't recommend to buy it in current state so far. At least if your music collection is in FLAC (I did not try other formats on this device).

Random News

Subject Started by on
QA860 HiFi Digital Lossless / DSD Music Player in stock. cowboy January 30, 2013, 02:42:57 PM